Holy Trinity University is the pioneer institution of higher learning in Palawan established in 1940 as the Holy Trinity Academy with Rev. Mother Cruz Rich, OP, Rev. Mother Paulina Cruz, OP and Rev. Mother Trinidad Acosta, OP, as the first Administrators who worked in cooperation with the Augustinian Recollect priests under the leadership of Msgr. Leandro Nieto, ORSA then Prefect Apostolic of Palawan.
On September 10, 1950 with Sister Amparo Bautista, OP as the first Distress, HTC rose to become a Junior College and opened the following courses: Elementary Teacher’s Certificate (ETC), Vocational Stenography and Typing.
In October 1953, the school came to be known as Holy Trinity College where Associate in Arts (1953-1954) was offered. In January 1955, Fr. Anesio Villanueva, ORSA became the director of the college. New courses such as Secretarial course (1955-1956), Dressmaking and liberal Arts (1957) were opened.
In 1958, Mother Rosa Santiago, OP was appointed Directress. During her leadership, Associate in Commercial Science and Bachelor of Science in Elementary Education (1959) were opened. It was also during her term that improvements in the school’s physical structure were done.
Sr. Victoria San Juan, OP became the superior-Directress in 1963. Her tireless efforts to improve the college led to the construction and Inauguration of the three-storey St. Dominic building and opening of the Pre-Nursing Course and then established the graduate School of the College in 1965.
The height of student activism the entire country during the seventies posted a great challenge to HTC. The Directress and Dean Sister Lucia Hacbang, OP amended certain policies for the greater benefit of the studentry in order to respond of the challenge of the times.
In June 1976, Sister Leonor Pagorogon, OP became the Directress and Dean of graduate School. Through her dedicated efforts. HTC became the first FAPE (Fund for Assistance to Private Education) Unit Center in Palawan.
Sister Leonor, OP went for a 3-year (1979-1981) study leave for her Doctorate degree and Sister Bernadette Izon, OP, served as acting Directress of the College. After completion of her Doctorate degree in June 1981, Sister Leonor came back to further improve the college. She then became the first President of the College.
The Academic year 1983-1984 marked the establishment of HTC-PNAC consortium and the opening of mores courses namely, Bachelor of Science in Criminology, Master Electrician Course, Electronic Service for Television and Electric Service for Radio.
School Year 1984-1985 pave the way for the opening of a two-year General Radio Communication Operator and the construction and inauguration of the first phase of St. Catherine building. In 1985-1986, the college opened its Automotive and Electrical Engineering courses.
In June 1987, Sr, Teresita Medalle, OP became President of HTC and worked for the opening of the four–year Bachelor of Science in Nursing.
It was during her leadership that the college implemented an intensive development program called the catholic schools Systems Development Program (CSSD) concept in the operation of the school.
During the school year 1990-1991, HTC celebrated her golden jubilee of service to the community. She looked back to fifty year of educational service which was made possible through the development of a strong research tradition that included the Palawan Environmental Research Center (PERC) professorial chair and research grand are offered to further enhance the research outputs of faculty after which the outputs were publish in the HTC Graduate Journal and the Faculty Research Journal.
School year 1994-1995 saw the birth of new programs namely Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) and the M.A program in Public Administration, Religious Education as a major in Education, B.S. in Physical Therapy, Bachelor in Computer Science and B.S Biology. The Mother Francisca community Extension Services program was also formally organized to include all the Existing extension service programs of the college. These are the Human Resource Development Program (HRDP), the extension services programs of the various colleges and the institutional community extension service.
In 1997, HTC applied for the conversion of the college into a university. Recommendations have been given by the CHED’s evaluation team for further improvement and enhancement of the institutional program and service to qualify the college for is intention of conversion into university.
Sr. Estrella T. Tangan, OP became the President from 2000 to 2007. During her term, additional major in the doctorate and masteral programs were offered namely: Doctor of philosophy in public Administration, Doctor of Philosophy in Development Education, Master of Arts in Education major in Teaching English, Teaching Math and Teaching Science.
In 2007, Sr. Caroline S. Capili, OP took the challenge of finally converting the college into its university status. A University Task Force was organized, series of sessions, consultations, planning, reorganization, restructuring, realignment, evaluation and accreditation of programs and services as well as policies and procedures to better respond to the call of excellence and the fast changing times.
HTU Submitted its reapplication papers to CHED for the conversion of HTC into university in February 2009.
CHED’s Technical team came to visit the school to validate the application for conversion on April28-29, 2009. On July 23-24, 2009 the school had its PAASCU accreditation on the following programs: resurvey for Education, Liberal Arts, and Business: n formal survey for Nursing: preliminary visit for Criminology, Hotel and Restaurant Management, Master of Arts in Education and Master in Public Education.
On September 4-5 2009, CHED Commission En Banc headed by the CHED Chairman Emmanuel Y. Angeles, the Commissioners and other CHED official came for the final visit and validation for the conversion of status from college into university.
Consequently, Holy Trinity College was converted as Holy Trinity University by virtue of CHED CEB Resolution No.490-2009 in accordance with the pertinent provision of Republic Act (RA) 7722 otherwise known as the Higher Education Act of 1994” during the 345th Commission En Banc meeting on December 23, 2009.
The College of Nursing Education was granted Level I PAASCU accredited; Liberal Arts and Business Administrators were Level II re –accredited: and Candidate Status was granted to following programs Criminology, Hotel and Restaurant Management, Master of Arts in Education, and Master in Public Administration.
On April 5-10, 2010 the entire community celebrated the Inauguration of Holy Trinity University and its 70 years of providing quality education in the city and the province with the theme “Gather…Remember Celebrate!”
On June 23, 2010, HTU received two Governor’s Award for the Private Education Category and Women Development Category. HTU Also received the Mayor’s Award for the Academe category on March 4, 2011.
In May 2011, Sr. Mesalina E. Cloma, O.P. became the second University President. Through her leadership, the offering of ETEEAP Bachelor of Science in Business Administration and Master in Business Administration were approved by the Commission on Higher Education and the consortia between Holy Trinity University (HTU) and the following universities namely; University of San Carlos (USC), University of Mindanao (UM), Palawan State University (PSU) and Our Lady of Fatima University (OLFU) were established. It was also during her term that researches in Engineering and Palawan Ethno-environmental Research Center won as best researches both in the region and national convention or symposium. In 2013, Sienatel as HTU Training Hotel in Tiniguiban, Puerto Princesa City was opened.
In June 16, 2014, Sr. Mercedes R. Lalisan, O.P. was installed as the new University President.
In April 29 to May 01, 2015, HTU celebrated its 75 years of being part of Palawan’s historical and critical moments where she served as a “landmark,” and demonstrates how liberating a true Christian education is in human society. Holy trinity University alumni, former and present administrators, faculty and students gathered for a three day celebration and voluntary service to the people of the city and province with the theme “HTU Shining Bright and Soaring High @ 75”.
In August 29, 2015, HTU received the Excellent Award for the Cleanest and Greenest School- Poblacion Category from the Office of the City Mayor of Puerto Princesa. HTU also received the Best Research Paper Presenter and Best Research Poster Presenter both for professional category during the MIMAROPA Health Research Development Consortium 4th Health Research Forum at Filipiniana Hotel, Calapan City, Oriental Mindoro last November 25, 2015.
Holy Trinity University (HTU), a dynamic center of Catholic education in Palawan, is committed to be a symbol of missionary sacrifice, a fierce bearer of Truth, an active catalyst of event as she responds with faith and helps shape the community it envisions, through unity with the church and society through actively participating in relevant social concerns and important causes and issues, thus building progressive Christian community that will effectively contribute to the extension of the kingdom of God.